Tuesday 18 February 2014

Final Reflection on Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology

When I look back over my view of learning on week one, I remain to consider that all learners have the proficiency to grasp information, and my duty as an educator is to equip links for my learners between their prior knowledge and new material. I have to assist them utilise new understanding and expand important cognitive competences to be outstanding representatives of community.
When I started this program, I stated I am an output of a behaviorism approach. When I was a child, my teacher gave rewards when we did something good and punishments when we did something bad. This approach formed me when I was a child. When I started to work as an educator, I started to learn about cognitivism. The knowledge that I grasped is stored and utilized later on. Then, the school that I worked at, began to shift its orientation from cognitivism to constructivism. I started to get a new understanding, that is we learn by doing it. In other words, we grasp an understanding by organizing it. This approach has formed my knowledge on how we grasp and use information until today. I understand that learning happens in a learning society, where the learners engage actively in the learning community. There is a process of connection between the learners within the community, the instruments available within the specific situation and the physical world. New comprehension develops as the learners engage and connect within the new situation. I use technology in this learning method as a piece of the learning environment that stimulates cognition. I also believe a student centered approach to learning where the learners engage actively in a systematically designed learning environment that encourages engagement amongst its participants. In this theory technology can be used to help develop learners’ capabilities. I use hands-on activities in the early development of basic addition skills. The problem might be too difficult for my learners to work out, but with the use of the hands-on, they can visually show their thinking and apply the tool to assist them work out the problem. Recently, I was introduced to social constructivism. We learn when we discuss and socialize with each other. These ideas of discussion are relevant to this method because no two learners can ever involve a circumstance in the same way as another learner. I learn to acknowledge that through games, learners can learn. When learners play games, there are specific tasks set for the children to reach, many of which engage collaborating with others in the learning community, either orally or in written format. As we approach the end of program, my knowledge of learning theories has grown. I learned that  all of the learning theories correlate in some way with my teaching methods. I do not believe that an educator can simply use one theory without incorporating the other theories in some way as well. The key is to have a balance of the theories.
In light of designing a student-centered classroom, one modification I need to create is to make sure that my learners use technology in the classroom as often as possible (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011). I have to make sure that my learners are active learners in the learning development, assisting them with chances to design and research on their own using a collection of tools. From this program, I look back on the teaching process, and the best approach to include technology in the classroom. Another modification that I need to do in my classroom is to show effort to include the instructional approaches of BehaviorismCognitivism, Constructionism, and Connectivism and Social Learning Theories in my instruction. Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski (2012) share instructional approaches and the best ways to include technology with these approaches. When we apply effectively, technology integration will increase learners’ study, knowledge, and progress. In addition to that, it boosts desire to learn, inspires collaborative learning, and aids the progress of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
A next modification I will do in my teaching practice because I have learned knowledge of technology implementation in the classroom will be how I start units. Usually I use KWL charts and get the picture activity. These strategies are still practical ways to facilitate learners to new units. On the other hand, I have explored many new technology tools that can be used to stimulate learners’ prior knowledge and propose new concepts.  One technology tool I am intended to use is VoiceThread.  This technology tool can be utilized to stimulate problem-based units as well as propose new concepts.  I was inexperienced with this technology tool before.  After exploring by creating VoiceThread, I am intended to first employ it to start units and at the end demonstrate my fifth graders to employ this as a presentation tool.  My learners are always enthusiastic when they explore concepts through new media.  VoiceThread will energize them and maintain them immersed during activities. Another technology tool that I found appealing and valuable was the use of Spiderscribe to design concept maps. This tool is a perfect practice to arrange a collection of concepts and describe the information to generate a unit more significant and simpler to interpret.
As a teacher, it is crucial to constantly designate long-term goals to make sure that we are always looking for tools and strategies to reinforce learning in our classroom.  One long-term goal I have designated is to promote my learners to employ new technology more regularlyWe have only two laptops in our classroom for eight learners and therefore, must employ a computer lab. It can be challenging to continually employ new technology.  It is my goal to maintain proposing new technology and to inspire learners to employ these new tools.  It is important for my learners to connect with technology on a daily basisI will design more learning engagements that are student-centered and not directed by teacher lectures. To reach these goals, I will need to be brave and willing to take risks as I attempt new things with my learners. I will need to look back on my plans and acknowledge how to design them more student-centered or technology rich. I must also pay attention that I do not attempt to extract technology tools into everything, but only to use it where it is applicable. I will also need to hand over more control to my learners.
This class has inspired me to look back on myself as an educator and design goals to regularly progress in my chosen roleEducators must regularly look back on instructional techniques and their personal theories of learning to guarantee that their learners are accepting instruction that matches their needs.  This program has assisted me to look back on my own approaches and adjust them so that I can influence all of my learners, assisting them to be more active in learning. In general, this program has suggested me of the significance of learning tools and carrying technology out in my classroom. My role is to aid learners equip for their future while exploring how to handle information using 21st century competences.

References
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program thirteen: Technology: Instructional tool vs. learning tool [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1
Palmer, G., Peters, R., & Streetman, R. (2003). Cooperative learning. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved 2 February 2014, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2012). Using technology with classroom instruction that works (2nd ed.). Alexandria, VA: ASCD

Purnama, Tjandra. (2014). Understanding Learning. EDUC 677I-1: Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology. Walden University.

No comments:

Post a Comment